Sunday

Old Dan was killed by a mountain lion. He was trying to protect me. He didn't deserve that! I can't believe that happened! The lion jumped out at me and he was there. I carried him home and his entrails were coming out. I spent the next two days in my room. I buried him up by the big white oak stump, where he killed his first coon -- that's all he ever wanted to do, hunt. If that wasn't bad enough....Little Ann died a few days later. I'm heartbroken. Mama says that God took my dogs because she and my dad were going to let me stay here and help grandpa so I could hunt at night....she said God doesn't want families split up. At first I was angry, but I calmed down. I guess I understand Him not wanting families split up, but did He have to kill my dogs? I buried Little Ann next to Old Dan. When we moved to town, on the way I stopped and went to visit my dogs one more time. And there between them, was a red fern. I was ecstatic. They say only an angel can plant the seed of the red fern.  Now I know that God is watching over my dogs.

1 comment:

  1. Grandpa8:50 PM

    Billy, you are a good boy and you will do fine in town, though I will miss you hunting with me. Old Dan and Little Ann weren't killed by God, they were killed by nature, which they were a part of. --Grandpa

    ReplyDelete