Thursday

I am amazed at how much my little dogs have learned, we went hunting and they killed two coons. Two coons!!!! I am thrilled. My dogs work like the best team I have ever seen. I have named the big one Old Dan, and the little one Little Ann. They treed one coon in a large white oak, the largest in the bottoms. I didn't think I could cut it down!  I built a scarecrow to keep the coon in so I could go and rest, but my dogs stayed with the tree the whole time. I never saw anything like it. I almost didn't get it down but said a little prayer and all of a sudden a wind come out of nowhere and blew it the rest of the way over! When it finally come down, my dogs went crazy. They attacked the coon and I had to pry them off with all my strength even after it was dead. I felt a little bad after I cut the tree down, but I thanked God and was on my way. Mama made me a hat out of my skin, and it totally went to my head. I got coon fever and spent every night in the bottoms chasing ringtails. Little Ann almost died one night, if it hadn't been for Old Dan, she probably would have. She was stuck in the frozen river out of reach. I used a cane and the lantern handle to make a long hook and pull her in. I thought she was dead when I got her in. I built a large fire and warmed her, I never again let that lantern get dirty and it was always well oiled. I will never repay it for the life of my dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment