Wednesday

I left early this morning and was in town by noon. People looked at me funny and I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because I have overalls and no shoes. Everyone here looks real classy, I just look like a hillbilly. I picked up that term today: "hillbilly." I don't think it's very nice. A bunch of boys from the school yard called me that. I slid down the slide and almost broke my tailbone!  I don't know why people have fun on those things. When I got to the post office, I felt like I can hear my dogs. When I got there, the man behind the counter asked if I was Billy Coleman, and I told him I was. He said that he had a crate in the back for a Mr. Coleman (I've never been called "Mr." before) and that it was making some very funny sounds. When I got around to the back, I saw what a tiny crate it was and I was worried there was some kind of mistake. The crate hardly looked big enough for one hound, let alone two. I let out a yell and went to work on opening it, the man helped me and pretty soon, we had the lid off. I remember letting out a huge sigh of relief as I saw my dogs sitting there. They were tiny, I mean miniscule. One of the hounds (the boy) was larger than the other. The girl -- she was like a squirrel. I gathered them up in a sack, thanked the postman, and headed home. On the way I got in a fight with some boys who pulled my dogs ear. The sheriff stopped it and I thought I was going to get arrested!  Thankfully, all he did was buy me a soda pop. A soda pop!!! It was the weirdest thing I have ever tasted. I stopped at a clothing store and bought Papa some overalls and Mama some dress fabric. I hope this will make up for me sneaking out. I also stopped buy a drugstore and bought all the candy I could carry. This should please my sisters. I'm almost there and I better start working on my apology.

No comments:

Post a Comment